how to renew your US passport

US passport renewals are not complicated. Take a look at this list of requirements for US passport renewal and see if you meet the conditions to run the procedure by mail.


Conditions to renew a US passport by mail

  • You already have a passport, and it is not damaged
  • You received it within the last 15 years
  • You were older than 16 years old when you did receive it
  • You still have the same name or you can legally document your name change
  • You are currently in the United States or Canada. Passports renewed by mail in the U.S. may only be mailed to U.S. and Canadian addresses. Americans in other countries should renew at the nearest U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate.


  • If you mutilate or alter your U.S. passport, you may invalidate it and risk possible prosecution under the law (Section 1543 of Title 22 of the U.S. Code).
  • If your passport has been mutilated, altered or damaged , you cannot apply by mail. You must apply in person.


Procedure to renew your US passport

  • Download, fill-in and sign Form DS-82
  • Send it in a prepaid overnight return padded envelope to

National Passport Processing
P.O. Box 13349
Philadelphia, PA 19101-3349

or if your mailing service does not deliver to P.O. Boxes mail to

National Passport Processing
Attn: Department 13349
1617 Brett Road
New Castle, DE 19720

Send Form DS-82 together with your most recent passport, two identical passport photographs and a $67 non-refundable fee payable to the US Department of State.


When will I have my renewed passport?

  • Normal processing takes about ten weeks
  • Use Expedited Service to get your US passport in about two weeks
  • Contact a passport agency, if you need your passport faster than that


More about US passport renewal

Your previous passport will be returned to you with your new passport.

If you travel extensively, you may request a larger, 48-page passport at no additional cost. To do so, please attach a signed request for a 48-page passport to your application

If your name has changed, you need to include a certified copy of the document(s) which specifies your name change. If you did not change your name by marriage, divorce, adoption decree or court order, you will have to carry out your passport renewal in person.

Take into account that some countries require you to have a given time of passport validity or a given number of visa or stamp pages available. Some airlines will not allow passport holders to board if they do not meet this requirement. You ought to double-check with the nearest foreign country's embassy or consulate.