how to get your first US passport
It is not complicated to get a US passport for the first time. Below, you have the list of passport requirements; gather the information and then go in person to any Passport Acceptance Facility in the US.
There are 8,000 passport acceptance facilities in the US. You should carry with you two photo of yourself, proof of citizenship, and a driver’s license or another kind of photo ID.
These facilities can be libraries, county and municipal offices, courts (federal, state, and probate). In addition there are regional passport agencies as well and one Gateway City Agency that assists US citizens who are traveling within 2 weeks, or need foreign visas for traveling. Appointments are required.
The first time you apply for a new US passport you must go in person to one of the facilities listed as Passport Acceptance Facility.
This condition also applies if:
- you have an expired United States passport but it is not in your possession
- if your previous passport was issued more than 15 years ago and currently expired
- you received your passport when you were under 16 years of age
- your valid passport was lost or stolen
- your name has changed since your passport was last issued and you do not have a legal document formally changing your name
How to get a new US passport
- Your —unsigned until asked to— US Passport Application, Form DS-11
- Proof of both your identity and citizenship
- Two passport photos
- Passport application fee
- Your Social Security Number
- Take your documents to the Passport Acceptance Facility
- Sign the Form DS-11 when the representative of the passport agency asks you to
When will I have my passport?
- Normal processing takes about ten weeks
- Use the Expedited Service to get your US passport in about two weeks.
- Contact a passport agency, if you need your passport faster than that